History of the Augusta Chorale
Our First Director: Mr. Charles W. Francis, Jr.
The Man &The Music, 1920 – 1986
- Our First Director: Mr. Charles W. Francis, Jr., The Man &The Music, 1920 – 1986 My father, Charles Warwick Francis, Jr. affectionately known as C.W. was the first of five children born to Rev. and Mrs. Charles Francis, Sr. in Huntersville, N.C. on June 20th, 1920. Under the graceful guidance of my grandmother, Almena, who taught him to play the piano, his love for music was born and under her tutelage he flourished
Our Second Director: Mr. Ellis M. Johnson
- Mr. Ellis Marvin Johnson grew up in Augusta, having attended its public schools. He holds degrees from Paine College and Ft. Valley State University and did further study at Seton Hall University, Montclair State College, Harvard University and Augusta State University, where he received his administration certification. Mr. Johnson studied choral conducting and piano with Emily Remington.
Our Third Director: Dr. Phyllis W. Anderson
2007 - present
- PA native of Norfolk, Virginia, Dr. Phyllis Anderson first stepped on the red clay of Georgia in 1978. While completing her master's degree at Ohio State University, she was asked to apply for the position as choir director of Paine College. During the interview with the then president, Dr. Julius S. Scott, Jr., she felt an instant connection with the college. In her words, "I came. I fell in love (with Paine College). I stayed."
Board of Directors
- Artistiic Director, Dr. Phyllis W. Anderson
President,, Ms. Cheryl L. Eldridge
Vice President, Dr. Elizabeth C. Gainous
Secretary, Mr. Darvin Harvey
- Financial Secretary, Dr. Elizabeth Gainous
Business Manager, Mrs. Jacqueline Connie
Members at Large:
Mr. Ronald Middlebrooks
Ms. Phyllis Jackson
Ms. Jan Lewis
Attendance Secretary, Ms. Cherianne F. Duncan
Librarian, Ms. George Lilllian Thompkins